Thursday, January 22, 2009

Horse Feet

For the last few months I've been in front of the camera way more than behind it. It's just not right. I totally understand why people don't like being photographed. I like to think that most of the people I photograph are comfortable with the shooting process but I sure do get nervous with someone looking down a lens at me. I've found mustaches and umbrellas both easy to hide behind.

I have still been working for Mechanimal which I'm very grateful for. Lately people just don't have money for creative photography. Working with the small crew of nerds/artists there has kept me from being completely stagnant with my photography. Too cold to take my camera out for a stroll at night to shoot icicles and football riots; so I let the giant office and varying light conditions challenge me.


They're working in a big space with dim natural light half the day and a handful of odd lamps casting varying degrees of brightness and hue. Fun! Every different viewpoint was a new arrangement of lights and tones. Like in the photo above, there's a cool toned light hitting the foreground and warm hitting the background. It makes them look like they're on different planes instead of right across each other at a table.


Later that day at the same table, a light quality that seems considerably different to me. I've been documenting each step in the creation of some life-size prehistoric horse feet. I'll leave it at that so I don't explain any of it incorrectly and make anyone sound stupid. Here's one more, then I'll move on.



More to come when the project is complete. Keep an eye on flickr!

No comments: