Monday, September 29, 2008

PAPA Shoot- a magical trip to pinball heaven

My latest shoot was both fun and easy and involved pizza at one point. Free food is a good perk and so is free pinball, for sure. So first I want to tell you about pinball heaven then I'll get on with the details of the shoot.

Okay so this eccentric rich dude has a giant warehouse full of pinball machines from the birth of pinball to the shiny, glowing, pinball that we know and love today. Hundreds of machines, all buzzing and blinking and begging to be played. However, this oasis of gaming delight is only open once a year for the world famous PAPA pinball tournament. Madness.

Anyway, I was hired to photograph their new products that they're selling online. Mostly t-shirts so I had some fun models to order around, and a few other knick knacks to set on my favorite machines and shoot. I had my Nikon D200, my tripod, and my crummy umbrella light with a bluish 'natural light' bulb. Super simple. The hardest part was pulling my models away from their games to stand still and smile for me. I love when I get to shoot people smiling. Usually I'm shooting portraits for bands or for painting references and nobody wants smiling to happen.

It was really well lit in there so I didn't need to do much editing later for exposure or anything. I did anyway, just because I like a high highlight contrast and a little more yellow than real life. No cyan, though. Cyan is for those angstie, smile-free photos.

I count this as a successful gig. I didn't get lost driving to Carnegie in the rain, I remembered my camera battery, and I got a Budai poster like this one only with gerbils and concerning PAPA instead of Elf Power. Hey, why don't I just show you the poster! Better yet; lets have Dave Bach, my client, show you.



A few more of the product shots can be seen at deviantart
here
here
here
here
there
and there

Now before you go and say "Hey Dani, that last one isn't a very good product shot, you can't even see the entire image on the t-shirt! You fool!" put down the phone and let me finish. I shot that one when I was done working. I just like it. There's plenty more where that came from. I've got four more models, a hat, a bag, and fun photos of the machines. All that and more delicious in the next post!

No comments: